The café "Trenk", place of the shooting.
|Born|| May 8, 1947|
Završje, Brod–Posavina County, Croatia
|Cause of death||Suicide|
|Date|| April 14, 1998|
~ 10 p.m. (CEST)
|Weapon(s)||Kalashnikov semi-automatic rifle (7.62×39mm)|
Antun Mataić (also reported as Antun Matajić-Tunja) was a Croatian who killed seven people and wounded an eighth at the café "Trenk" in Podvinje, a village near Slavonski Brod, Croatia on April 14, 1998.
That night Mataić had a drink at the café and afterwards left, but shortly thereafter, at about 10 p.m., he returned with a Kalashnikov semi-automatic rifle and opened fire at the guests, killing six men and one woman, and seriously wounding a 44-year-old man.
The 50-year-old then escaped in his car, and at approximately 1:45 a.m. committed suicide at the shooting range "Petnja" near Sibinj, a few kilometres away from the crime scene, either by exploding a hand grenade, or by setting his vehicle on fire and shooting himself.
Wounded was Ilija Reljanovic, 44.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Likvidirao obitelj jer žena nije htjela preseliti na selo?, Novi list (May 26, 2009)
- ↑ Najteži zločini u Slavoniji, Jutarnji list (November 12, 2006)
- ↑ Seven Killed in Croatia Shooting, Reuters (April 15, 1998)
- ↑ Sieben Menschen in einer Gaststätte erschossen, Stuttgarter Zeitung (April 16, 1998)
- ↑ Amoklauf auch in Kroatien, Oberösterreichische Nachrichten (April 16, 1998)
- ↑ Kroatien: Amokschütze tötet sieben Männer in Gaststätte, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (April 16, 1998)
- ↑ KRATKE VIJESTI IZ HRVATSKE, HRT (April 23, 1998)
- ↑ SLAVONSKI BROD: UBIJENO SEDMERO OSOBA, HRT (April 15, 1998)