|Germán García Antonio|
|Cause of death||Suicide|
|Date|| May 2, 1985|
|Location(s)||Guadalupe la Mexicana, Mexico|
Several years prior to the murders García, a retired soldier, and his family joined the Jehova's Witnesses in a ceremony that was held by foreigners and henceforth lived with his followers in a cave in the area. From there they conducted nightly raids and set out to terrorise the catholic inhabitants of the settlement and steal their cattle. Several months prior to the murders he threatend to kill a number of people, if the catholics proceeded with their plan to build a temple in the encampment.
During the night of May 2 García took a rifle and went to the municipal office in Guadalupe la Mexicana, where he killed seven people, including his nephew, and wounded another. Afterwards he shot dead his brother Juan when he disapproved of his actions and subsequently retreated into the cave, together with his wife and daughter, a woman named Candelaria Martínez, and ten children, taking them hostage. When police arrived at the scene and surrounded his hideout, he and four of his followers threatened to kill the others, leading to a 10-hour-long standoff in which police tried to rescue the hostages. With the words "Jehova won't allow me to surrender to justice," he eventually committed suicide.
Among those killed were:
- Prócoro Cruz Martínez
- Gerardo Cruz Mendoza
- Juan García Antonio, his brother
- ↑ Montes, Olga et al.: Persecución Religiosa en Oaxaca?: Los Nuevos Movimientos Religiosos; Instituto Oaxaqueño de las Culturas, 1995. (p. 76) ISBN 9789686951141
- ↑ Marroquín, Enrique: El conflicto religioso Oaxaca, 1976-1992; Oaxaca, 2007. (pp. 56/57) ISBN 9789703240173
- ↑ De sectas a sectas: una aproximación al estudio de un fenómeno apasionante; Claves Latinoamericanas, 1987. (pp. 42/43)
- ↑ Testigo de Jehová mató a 8 por no aceptar su religión, Alerta (June 1, 1985)
- ↑ ICLA boletín; Centro de Documentacíon MIEC-JECI, 1985.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Fanático religioso, asesino, se mató cuando mantenía 13 rehenes, El Informador (May 4, 1985)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Jehova-getuige doodt 8 mensen, Limburgsch Dagblad (May 6, 1985)
- ↑ Jehova no permitirá que me entregue a la justicia.
- ↑ 127 preguntas sobre la secta de Jehová; Editorial Camino, 1994. (p. 300)
- ↑ Latinamerica press, Vol. 17; Lima, 1985. (p. 154)