|Birth name||James Scales Purrington|
|Born||September 17, 1759|
Lincoln County, Province of Massachusetts Bay
|Cause of death||Suicide|
|Parents||David Purrington |
|Date||July 9, 1806|
2 a.m. – 3 a.m.
|Location(s)||Augusta, Maine, United States|
James Scales Purrington (also spelled Purrinton, Purington, and Purinton) was an American farmer who killed eight members of his family and wounded a ninth in Augusta , Maine, United States on July 9, 1806, before committing suicide.
Victims[edit | edit source]
- Elizabeth Clifford Purrington, 45, his wife
- Polly Purrington, 19, his daughter
- Martha Purrington, 15, his daughter
- Benjamin Purrington, 12, his son
- Anna Purrington, 10, his daughter
- Nathaniel Purrington, 8, his son
- Nathan Purrington, 6, his son
- Louisa Purrington, 18 months, his daughter
Wounded was James Purrington, 17, his son.
References[edit | edit source]
- The Purrington Massacre
- The Purrinton Murders
- Maine Library Commission: Maine library bulletin Vol. 1-6; Augusta, Maine, 1911.
- The Purrinton Tragedy: Augusta, 1806, Maine History News (March 2, 2012)
- Merritt, Timothy: A Discourse on the Horrid Murder of Captain James Purrington's Family; Moses Davis, 1806.
- True Crime Tuesday: The Maine Purrington Mass Murder, [[Wikipedia:|]] ()
- Horrid Murder!, [[Wikipedia:|]] ()
- Saturday, a Coroner's inquest was held, The Northampton Mercury (August 30, 1806)
- The Maine Antiquary, Lewiston Saturday Journal (August 31, 1895)
- Merritt, Timothy: Horrid Massacre!!; Peter Edes, 1806.
- Tragedy & Murder In Maine: True Historical Stories, [[Wikipedia:|]] ()
- Capt James Scales Purrington, [[Wikipedia:|]] ()
- North, James W.: The History of Augusta, from the Earliest Settlement to the Present Time; Clapp and North, 1870. (pp. 335 - 338)
- Maine State Library: Purrinton tragedy of 1806 is recalled, in Bulletin, Vol. 4; 1915.
- Nash, Charles Elventon & Ballard, Martha: The History of Augusta; Charles E. Nash & Son, 1904.
- Kingsbury, Henry D. & Deyo, Simeon L.: Illustrated history of Kennebec County, Maine; 1625-1799-1892, Part 1; H.W. Blake & Company, 1892.
- Patterson, William Davis: The Probate Records of Lincoln County, Maine: 1760 to 1800; Society, 1895. (p. 74)
- On the night of 8th inst., Newport Mercury (July 26, 1806)
- Horrid murder, Hagerstown Maryland Herald And Hagerstown Weekly Advertiser (August 1, 1806)
- , Weekly Raleigh Register (August 4, 1806)
- Purington Massacre -- Hallowell, [[Wikipedia:|]] ()
- Souliere, Michelle: Strange Maine: True Tales from the Pine Tree State; The History Press, 2011
- Fryer, George & Clark, James: Horrid Murder!; Fryer & Clark, 1806.
- Horrid Murder, [[Wikipedia:|]] ()
- Ray, Isaac: A Treatise on the medical jurisprudence of insanity; Little, Brown, and Company, 1871. (pp. 287/88)
- Websdale, Neil: Familicidal Hearts: The Emotional Styles of 211 Killers; Oxford University Press, 2010. (pp. 103 - 105) ISBN 9780199717958
- , [[Wikipedia:|]] ()
- , [[Wikipedia:|]] ()